Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Name

On the day of my birth, way back in 1953, my parents chose a name for me. I can just imagine how proud they were when they came up with the name "Barbara Jean." I understand I was named after a very good friend of theirs who meant a lot to them.

From the moment they decided on my name, I now was known by "that name." When MY NAME was called, I knew it meant me. I didn't look up when someone else's name was called. MY NAME identifies who I am.

When I was a child, MY NAME wasn't particularly important to me, mostly because I hated it and still do!

But now, MY NAME means a lot to me. I have the understanding of the importance of a "good name" now. I didn't understand that when I was a child.

MY NAME....the name I am known by. When my name is spoken whether in my town, my church or my family, people will immediately picture who and what they know I am because MY NAME identifies me with my behavior. MY NAME sets me apart from all the other six billion people on this planet.

"A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches......" Proverbs 22:1a

I pray that when MY NAME is mentioned any time, any place at any hour, MY NAME brings nothing but glory to HIS NAME.

HIS NAME, the name above all names...MY NAME, the one who represents HIS NAME. Lord, let me always bring glory to the name that means more than anything else to me.

No comments: