Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Digging Deep

Sometimes, I'm sure, the few of you who read my incessant ramblings, must think I'm a bit nuts. I think very literally and most everything I see in a days time, has a spiritual application for me.

Now I do understand that for many of you, it doesn't work that way, but that's how God made me.

Today, as I spent another peaceful day on the beach with my sister, I watched her grandchildren digging deep into the sand. The hole kept filling up with sand and water but they kept on digging. There wasn't any giving up here. They were focused, intent and centered on digging that hole ever deeper.

I got to thinking as I watched, about how often with people, and problems and situations that are difficult or uncomfortable, we must often DIG DEEP within ourselves and keep on DIGGING to accomplish the task at hand. We have to reach way down deep and we cannot give up or walk away. We must often be willing to give an extra measure of patience, an extra measure of love sprinkled with a hug and a kiss, an extra measure of understanding and an extra measure of kindness.

There are times when the hole in the sand keeps filling up and we think we cannot reach down one more time....we feel there's nothing left within us to continue putting forth the effort to simply DIG.

But, we are called by Christ to be His hands and feet......NOT just for as long as WE want to be, but for however long HE WANTS us to be!

Lord, help me DIG DEEPER in each and every situation where my emotions are tested, my senses are tested, my physical body is tested and mostly, when my heart is tested.

Would you pass me a bigger shovel God? I'm ready to DIG.

1 comment:

trish said...

May digging deeper be just what my family does to discover HIM.