Friday, April 10, 2009

Lesson Learned.....HOPEFULLY!

Are you one of those types of people who just seem to refuse to learn "certain" lessons? Let me explain what I mean by "certain" types of lessons.

Seems like when there's physical pain involved in a lesson I've learned, I seem to remember the pain well. I will NEVER EVER pour gasoline on yard trash and then light it with a match. I learned the hard way by being badly burned and will never do that again.

It seems that "emotional" type lessons are much harder to learn. Now maybe that's just for me, but I can honestly say that I am proof positive of this truth.

Several months ago, Darrel finally gave in to my pleadings and said yes to allowing me to get a Golden Retriever. If you read my blog enough, you'll probably remember the pictures I posted of her and the joy I had when I brought her home. BUT....the joy faded as the weeks wore on and I realized that she was just TOO much for me to handle and care for. Darrel had tried to tell me over and over and over again that it would be too much for me, but my "dog lover" emotional heart would not hear the truth. He learily finally gave in to me. Now I wish he hadn't.

When will I learn? Why didn't I listen to him? He tried to tell me but I just KNEW he was wrong and that I could do it. But he was right.

The pain of him being right AGAIN was bad enough but then I had to look him in the face and tell him he was right! Then the worst part of it....I had to give her away. Not because he made me but because I knew it was the best thing to do. She was too strong for me and just too much dog for me.

Why don't I learn? Will THIS be the time I'll learn my lesson? I most certainly hope so. I'd like to say that I do believe I finally get it.

Isn't this a perfect picture of most all of us? Many of us are often found making the same mistakes over and over again and we keep ourselves in an emotional turmoil because we never seem to learn.

For me, it is time to STOP being so stubborn, so stupid actually. It's pretty painful to keep making the same mistakes over and over.

"Lord, help me to be wiser. Help me to face my downfalls and my weaknesses and get beyond them, once and for all. Help me be willing to admit that I am often wrong. I need a lot of work Lord, start NOW...I'm ready to LEARN!!"

No comments: