Sunday, April 12, 2009

"But When He Came To His Senses..."

I wonder as I sit here, how many of us have had a Prodigal Son in their family. It seems as though everyone I talk to and ask to pray for my oldest son, also has a son who is running from God. We see it everywhere....as our pastor said today..."Why do you seek the living among the dead?" So many searching, but they are all seeking among the dead things of this world...those things which will never bring hope, healing, happiness, peace and salvation.

Day by day, they search for peace among "dead things". They look daily in a constant quest for that something that they have not yet found. As each day dawns, they seek love as though their lives depended on it. They have fooled their own selves into believing that just around the corner, THIS TIME, is that which they have been looking for. When it's not, they convince themselves once again, that if they just search a little longer, they'll find their answer. The cycle continues month after month, year after year.

But they search in vain.

When will they come home? When will they get so hungry for the Truth, that they stop looking among the dead things of this world? When?

I do not have the answer for this question. I pray daily for my son's soul and the souls of so many who are wandering through this life without purpose, other than the purpose of pleasing self. I will wait patiently for the day that I hear my son say these words.....

"But when I came to my senses..."

I wait for the day that I can see my son off in the distance coming home. Not just to his earthly home, but his heavenly home on high. I wait and while I wait, I pray for it is all I know to do.

As I read the story of the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:11-24, I am encouraged. After this son spent all his money on loose living he found himself broke and hungry. He would have gladly eaten with the pigs. But then, we see him "come to his senses..." This is my favorite line in the story. He had finally realized his sin and he came home to the father that he had wronged, looking for forgiveness!!!

Dear Ones, together we will pray and wait for our loved ones to come back home. I will not give up, give in or throw in the towel. I will continue to trust God with my son. I look forward to the day that I hear my son say those words...

And I trust God that one day, he WILL.

No comments: