Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Angels Unaware

Hebrews 13:2 says..."Do not forget to entertain strangers for by so doing, some have unwittingly entertained angels."

As I sat in the airport across from my gate today, I watched as many travelers filed into line to board the plane. The plane was overbooked and many were standing by hoping for a no-show. Spring breakers were everywhere and there were lots of people sitting and standing. I continued to watch as the Zones were called and the last person boarded. A call came over the intercom that the door would be shut in 2 minutes....FINAL BOARDING CALL the woman said.

I watched as she called several more people up who were thankful that there were some no-shows. And then the door to the walk through was closed. The flight was full. A couple more minutes later, an elderly lady came running as quickly as her short stocky legs would carry her. Her arms were full and her face froze as she realized the gate had been closed. She immediately panicked and began running back and forth between the closed gate door and the check-in counter. She was frantic. She raced back and forth and began calling to the plane to come back. In desperation, she ran back to the closed gate door, began banging on it and started yelling...HELP ME! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! At that she began to cry. I looked around this huge area with at least 100 people watching her and NO ONE did anything. Not one single person attempted to console her. I jumped out of my chair and went to her. Tears were running down her cheeks as I just simply said...."Is there anything I can do to help you?" Frantically, she began telling me she had gotten sick to her stomach and could not come out of the bathroom to let them know she was coming. She had tried twice to leave the bathroom, but quickly had to return because of being sick at her stomach. "I tried to get here...I tried to get here....What am I going to do? My luggage is on that flight."

There wasn't really anything I could do to change that situation and I knew that. But what I did try to do was calm her and let her know that it would be alright and I would help her if she needed help. She was inconsolable but I did the best I could.

As I walked away from her, my heart just broke for her. As I walked to my seat I asked the Lord to help her get on the next fight, somehow, and get to her destination. By the time I sat back down, I glanced back in her direction and she was gone. My eyes scoured the room and she was nowhere to be seen. I sat there and wondered where in the world could she have gone to that fast? She simply was nowhere in sight.

And then, this verse came to my mind. "Lord, I thought....did I just entertain an angel? Was that a test Lord? Did I pass Lord God? Did you send her to see what YOUR children would do?" All these questions ran through my mind in a flurry.

You know, truly, we do not ever know when God has placed an angel in our path. I suppose that's why this verse starts with...
DO NOT FORGET! He's even reminding us of the importance of an unselfish act of kindness to a stranger.

I'm thankful for my encounter today. It reminded me how crucial it is, for we Christians, to show forth HIS light everywhere we go. I was the only one in a room full of people who tried to help this lady. There will be many times in our lives that we will stand alone for Him IF we choose to do so.

Next time a stranger needs a little kindness....remember this verse....you may be entertaining an angel from God!!

No comments: