Friday, June 5, 2009

Undeserved Protection


This morning started out like any other. You know, the regular routine things that you do, I did....Got up, bathroom, let the dog out, etc. etc. I was standing looking out my kitchen window and noticed that my hummingbird feeders needed to be refilled. I grabbed a pot, put in the sugar and water and started it boiling to make the syrup. In the meantime, I made the mistake of walking away from the pot as I turned on the burner. Within about 1 minute, I had forgotten I turned the burner on, which was a huge mistake!

Forgetting about the pot on the stove, I headed into the bathroom to shower. I had been in there at least 10 minutes when I started smelling something. I couldn't figure out what it was I was smelling and quickly dismissed it. About another minute later, the smell was back, only stronger. This time I remember thinking to myself what in the world could that smell be? It smelled like pralines cooking...you know, that sugary sweet smell but with a bit of a burn smell to it??? That's when it dawned on me I had left the burner on with the sugar water boiling on high!

I literally flew out of the shower and as I opened the door, smoke was everywhere. Evidently the battery had died in my smoke alarm and it never went off. I ran through the dining room, then into the kitchen and immediately my eyes were burning and I could hardly see for the smoke. I grabbed the pot off the burner and threw it out the door as the smoke was billowing up out of the pot. By now, I was coughing and could hardly open my eyes for the smoke and to top it all off, I'm here alone until Darrel returns from Mississippi. Yikes...it wasn't a pretty scene.

Brother.....am I stupid, or what??? Every time I do something absolutely stupid like this, I wonder why God gives me such sweet UNDESERVED PROTECTION. It makes me wonder how many other times in my life He has protected me when I made stupid decisions, had stupid actions or was ridiculously careless. It also makes me wonder just how many times He'll keep protecting me when I do stupid things. Does He ever come to a point where He says...."She ought to know better....how many times does she expect me to rescue her when she makes such stupid decisions?"

All I know to say is that I am so grateful to God for once again, protecting me and allowing me to catch the burning pot in time before it turned into a fire while I was languishing in the shower! I should be ashamed and I am. That's twice in the last week or so that He has intervened in our behalf and kept us from the house possibly being burned down.

UNDESERVED PROTECTION...once again, He has blessed and I am humbled at His great love for such an unworthy one as myself.

It's good to know that the hand of God is big enough to protect even a dodo bird like me!

No comments: