Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Can you REALLY count to 1000?"


That was the question that Easton asked me yesterday. I was putting up some white acre peas in their kitchen and I had poured LOTS of the peas out onto a cookie sheet to cool. Easton came up behind me and said, "WOW Yaya, that's a lot of peas! Do you think there's about 100 peas there?" I giggled and said, "Oh Easton, there's lots more than 100 peas on that cookie sheet." He stared at the peas for a minute and then looked back at me again. This time he said, "Do you think there's 1000 peas there?" "Oh yes," I answered, "even more than 1000".

You could see his mind thinking about that incredibly big number for a 5 year old and then he said, "Yaya, can YOU count to 1000?" "I sure can." With one of those "You amaze me cause you're so smart looks on his face," he then said, "Can you REALLY count to 1000?" He appeared absolutely amazed that I was able to count to a number that was extremely high to him.

Hmmmmmm....his question got me to thinking about this precious 5 year old grandson of mine, who I am 51 years older than. He looks up to me. He "thinks" I am so smart and wise. He counts on me for many things. He trusts me to give him correct answers and to be truthful to him. Man, this little boy looks up to his grandmother. It's pretty mind-boggling when you really think about it. What a heavy and serious responsibility it truly is when you wrap your mind around it.

I have a huge responsibility to my grandchildren to teach them well when I am in their presence. They are hanging on my every word.......that, in itself, could be a scary thought. These precious children will learn from my example, they will imitate what they see Yaya do and they will repeat what they hear me say.

Oh help me Jesus to take this massive responsibility as serious as I should. Help me Father to be your hands, feet and mouth not just when I am in their presence but most especially when I am in their presence.

They are counting on me God, all of them.........and bigger than that................

YOU are counting on me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it when kids think we know everything. Jayci is starting to get that way with me, but of course, Grammy is the ultimate source of knowledge, she knows everything under the sun and some above it too! I agree with Jayci about her Grammy, I feel the same way about her! I love reading all of your blogs! I get on everyday and check on the latest thoughts of Mrs. Barb. Love it! I just started a blog too! Love ya sweetie!