Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pictures

How often do you reminisce about days gone by, people from your past or loved ones that are no longer in your life?

For me, that happens every single day. I, like probably many other people, have precious photographs of those who I love/loved dearly lining my walls. As I begin to walk down my hallway, directly ahead of me is a photo of my father with my sisters and I. There he is, smiling at me as I look at this PICTURE. It's as though each time I look at it, he's encouraging me onward....reminding me to press on....to laugh....to sing. Those were all important things to my dad and he did them well.

There are PICTURES of my children. I suppose it will always be difficult to see them for the grown men and women they are, as to me, they're still little and need their momma. I gaze at the PICTURES of them and their families and realize I was much more blessed when they were born than I ever realized at the time. Oh yes, I cherished my children but I'm not sure that any of us realizes just what they mean to us until they are gone. As I look at them, millions of little snippetts of memories come crashing through my mind. It's as though a little video of years gone by gets fast forwarded in my mind and in an instant, I'm taken back to when they were toddlers. Then just that quickly, the video stops and I come back to reality and realize they are gone, living their lives on their own. If possible, all 3 of them would live no more than a few miles away....If possible, we'd all eat Sunday dinner together every week....If possible, we'd celebrate each birthday as if it were our last together....If possible, we'd sit and have long conversations about the things of God and what He is doing in each of our lives....

If possible...If possible....If possible...

Then I see PICTURES of my dear grandchildren. Each one, a gift from heaven, strategically placed into our lives. Each one, different, special, unique, talented. I have no doubt that my senior years will be richer because they will remain in it. I have no doubt that as me and Poppa age, they will look out for us, check on us, pray for us and love us. Man, we are sure enough blessed.

PICTURES...all around me there are PICTURES representing all the people in my life that mean so much to me. Even right now, I'm staring at a picture of my children and wondering why God chose to be so good to give them to me. I love them all more than mere words could explain. I want God's best for them.

PICTURES...faces of lives that God Himself placed on this planet and that I will never stop thanking Him for.

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you." Phillippians 1:3

No comments: