Thursday, June 25, 2009

More Than Enough


Tonight as I sat here shucking corn and getting it ready for the freezer, my mind wandered, as usual. There's nothng I like better than corn on the cob and I can eat a pile of it! But my mind wandered to the many millions of people who would give anything to have one single ear of this corn to eat.

On my last trip to Honduras I saw a scene that will forever stay in my mind. As I stood in front of a house we had been ministering at, there was one particular little girl who caught my eye. There were at least 100 people there, probably more, but this little girl broke my heart. She was dirty and dressed in clothes that were too small. She was aimlessly walking around, all the while looking down on the ground. It seemed she was looking specifically for something. And then I saw her spot her prize and I nearly cried. She reached down and picked up a dirty cob of eaten corn that had to have been laying there for days and began to gnaw on it. My heart just sank. There she stood chewing on a filthy corn cob while I was going to get on the bus in a few minutes, fill my belly with Little Debbie's and then go back to where we were sleeping and eat a splendid meal that Debbie G. had cooked.

Talk about feeling humbled. In the world in which I live, I have MORE THAN ENOUGH to eat and sustain me for weeks without even going to the grocery store. This little girl has never known what MORE THAN ENOUGH even means, let alone what it looks like.

Tonight, as I surveyed the bounty of wonderful sweet corn that God has provided me with, I pray for that little girl. I pray for not only her, but the millions across this globe who are hungry tonight, while my tummy is full.

You have provided beyond what I deserve Father God and I am so grateful. Your goodness and provision is way MORE THAN ENOUGH. Thanks God.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Stunning reminder. Has set my mind to thinking. There are so few words to say after reading that, but thanks for sharing it. You painted a picture that needs to stay with me.