Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nickel Cones


I miss my dad. Today, I can't get him off my mind. I just miss him so much. It doesn't seem possible that he's been gone 10 years now and I still miss him just as much as I ever did.

As I dipped some ice cream for Mary today, one of my favorite memories of him came racing back into my mind. When I was somewhere around 8-12, I think, there was a Dairy Queen not far from our home. Dad and I both ADORED what he always called,
"custard" ice cream. We'd head out in our Buick and drive down to the DQ for a NICKEL CONE.

YEP...they actually had NICKEL CONES back then! Often, my dad would splurge and we'd get a NICKEL CONE for our schnauzer also as he loved ice cream! If he was really inclined, we'd get a bag of Dilly Bars at just 10 for a $1.00!!!

I miss you dad...I wish you were here to hold me, to talk to me and to reassure me that I was gonna be o.k. I need your ear. I miss you so much. Thanks for all the wonderful memories you gave me and thanks for the hundreds of NICKEL CONES we enjoyed together.

I love you dad. I miss our NICKEL CONES.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Barb, I hope you are able to rest in His peace and finding comfort in moments when you need it. I wish I could wrap up blessings from Him and send them to you. But He gives you much more than anyone else could give anyway. Know that you are loved, please.