Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Can You Appreciate This GIFT???

No, I'm not talking about the kind that is all wrapped up in pretty paper and tied with a gorgeous bow bought at Halmark. This gift wouldn't normally ever be given for ANY celebration.

I'm talking about the GIFT of something that could be, bluntly put...."a thorn in your flesh?" In 2 Corinthians 12:7, Paul speaks of a "thorn in his flesh." Now I am no bible scholar and do not claim to understand the whole meaning of this statment that he makes, but the Word says it was put there to keep him from exalting himself! YIKES!!!!

I don't think any of us will ever know this side of heaven exactly what this "thorn" was, but it was put there to keep him from becoming conceited!

Ever notice how it seems as though we constantly are struggling with "issues" in our own personal walks/lives with Christ? Maybe it's one of those thorns that has been put there to keep us humble? I can think of many examples from my own past when I realize now that when a thorn appears, it might very likely be God's way of keeping us humble. God will use many different things to get our attention, whatever He chooses for it to be.

We may feel like we're the biggest servant of all, the best decorator of all, the best singer of all, the best organizer of all, the best mom of all, the best student of all, the best whatever of all.....but just about the time we've convinced ourselves we're the best OR we've suffered for Christ WAY MORE than anyone else, we best be on the look out. A thorn may be on its' way.

How about it? Could YOU APPRECIATE THIS GIFT of a thorn IF it meant it humbled you before Christ and helped you to realize how small we all really are and drew you closer to Him? Christ should increase so that we may decrease. Period...amen. Got a thorn in your flesh? Maybe it's time to take stock.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Barb,
I had started a blog about the freedom in humility, but I haven't been able to finish it yet. What you just wrote reminds me of that, how we should welcome that thorn in the flesh and allow ourselves to be seen as the mere people we are. Dare we try to shine a spotlight on ourselves instead of the One who belongs there. I'm so thankful for the freedom in humility because it has relieved pressure from me feeling as though I have to perform how people would want me to, instead I can just live at ease realizing it's all about Him and He is the One who gets things done and done beautifully! Thank you for your blog that encourages me each night!