Sunday, May 10, 2009

Remembering My Mother


As Mother's Day 2009 comes to a close, I found myself thinking about my own dear mother. She's been gone now since 1992, but it seems as though it was only a few years ago that she passed away. I miss her more every single day. Often each week, I wish I could call her and tell her what's going on in my life. I yearn to tell her about all the many grandchildren that she has now, who they look like, who they act like and how adorable they all are. She would have loved to hear about all of it. I miss her desperately and I miss the sound of her voice when she called me "honey."

I'm thankful, so thankful that I had a mom who loved me, helped to provide for me and cared about me. i realize more and more that not everyone was lucky enough to have had that. I was so fortunate, more fortunate than I even realized then and now.

I wish I could tell her face to face that I love her so much and am grateful to God that I was born to her. Yep, that's me and my mother nearly 50 years ago when I was 7 years old.

I love you Mom.....Thank you for all the love you showered on me from the day of my birth. I miss you.

2 comments:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Oh! How I miss my mother too Barb....your mother loves you when you feel like the rest of the world doesn't and they always listen! That's what I miss most of all. This just touched my heart. During my daily walk time on Saturday I was just praising God for allowing me the priviledge of being a mother (even when I was ungrateful)....my heart was on Cathy M. and all she has meant to the children in our church through the years, what a great mother she has been. After she spoke last night, I wanted to get up but I knew I would be blubbering and no one would have understood a word I said!

martha stewart impersonator said...

Hey YaYa,
I too know exactly how you feel. It is hardest at mothers Day I think because you don't have a mother here to celebrate with you.
When I was a child, on Mothers Day, women always wore a flower to church. A red rose if your mother was living and a white rose if she had passed.I remember the 1st Mothers Day that my Mother wore the white rose. She cried all day and I felt so sorry for her. I gave no thought as a child that it would be me wearing that white rose one day. You always think they will live forever when you are young.You give no thought of tomorrow or of your parents aging.
My mother loved to go to the beach when she would visit during the summers. It was important to her to go back to work with a sunburn!:-)(notice I didn't say tan)So on Mothers Day I go to the beach and read my bible and try to remember the sweet memories we had at the beach. Not long after she passed I prayed for someone who I could adopt on Mothers Day as a Moma to buy a card or flowers or gift for because I felt like such an orphan
with no family here. The Lord brought to mind Mavis Griffis and I ask her if i could adopt her as my moma figure and she said yes. Therefore I call her Mother Mavis and Poppa Joe. This helps with all the holidays for me and they enjoy getting presents! haha, God is so good and HE is faithful to the end.
Missy was my mothers namesake and she would be soooo thrilled to find out a baby is on the way. I know she knew before me and that is comforting.I guess our mothers were taught by example what mothering was all about and certainly passed down to us and we in turn pass it down to our girls.
My mother too was a good listener .She would always say" have you prayed about it?" or I prayed you all the way home!!!
The last night she was alive I spent it with her in the hospital.
All my family fretted over her and when they left for the night, I sang to her, read the Bible, Lotioned her legs, combed her hair, and told her, "Moma don't be afraid when the angels come. We will all be ok." She was in a semi coma but me and moma could talk about the Lord when she wouldn't talk much with the other siblings. I know she knew that me & missy love the Lord and I know she did to. Sometimes that in itself helps me because I know she is in heaven with my precious brother and neither one has a disease! !!
Know what I mean? We wouldn't want them to be here in the condition they were in, right? Afterall, Heaven is what we all all striving for :-)I wish now I had gotten back in time to hear Cathy speak.
Wow what a blessing she is to our youth and her sisters children.
I love ya and hope I didn't tarry on too much.

YaYa Donna
So hold fast to the good