Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hidden Disaster

Early this morning, I ran to start a load of wash as there was something I wanted to wear for the day but it needed to be washed. The washing machine began filling up with water and then started its' cycle. In the meantime, I fed my birds in the backyard. I noticed, all of a sudden, that I no longer heard the washer going. I came in and checked the breaker but it was not tripped. I went back out and checked to make sure that the plug had not come out of the socket and it was fine. Naturally, the next step was to get Darrel, king of all fix-its, and let him see what was wrong.

He began checking this and that and finally got out a meter and took the kitchen socket apart. As he opened it up and called out to me, I knew something was wrong.

There, hidden behind the wall plate, was a terrible potential HIDDEN DISASTER. One that could have taken our home and everything in it AND our lives. Behind that plate as Darrel pulled it off, it was sparking and arcing. There was visible damage already. The wires were burned and a fire was waiting to happen. Had I not turned the washer on when I did and not left the house before I realized there was a problem, the outcome could have been bad.

HIDDEN DISASTERS are found everywhere in the lives of people. After Darrel fixed the problem, he thanked God for watching over us and protecting us. He said it could have very easily caught fire during the night but God blessed by allowing us to catch it in time.

This incident gave me lots to think about today. I thought about all of the sins that we try to hide from people. We hide behind our front doors and our smiles, but hidden below the surface, our sins are great. These HIDDEN DISASTERS are always found out by others and ALWAYS KNOWN BY GOD, regardless of whether we think they're hidden or not. Our hidden sins are DISASTERS just waiting to happen, to be found out, to be brought out into the light. Fear struck my heart when I realized what was hidden beneath the covering of the wall plate. But the miracle is, we were able to fix it and make it new.

That's exactly how our God works in lives too. He takes all of our HIDDEN DISASTERS and when brought out into the light, He can fix them and make you brand new, IF you'll take off your covering of sin.

We praised God today for His protection over us and His mercy towards us. What could have been an extremely horrific day, was a wonderful day. All because a potential disaster was uncovered.

THANK YOU LORD JESUS for protecting us today and everyday from HIDDEN DISASTERS!

No comments: