Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rain


I've always loved the rain. In a blog written months ago, I shared about my wonderful memories of my father and how we enjoyed the rain together. For me, rain brings back precious memories of laughter and anticipation as my dad and I watched the storm roll in from our front row lawn chair seats in our garage.

The rain is so refreshing and cleansing. It makes me know that sunny days are always ahead for the rain cannot last forever.

But it's funny to me, even tonight at church, I heard many people complaining about the rain. Naturally, they all wanted it to stop. They were tired of it. They couldn't shop easily because of the inconvenience of getting in and out of their cars in the rain. Etc. etc. etc.

It seems we are never satisfied, or is it just me? When it's sunny and hot, we're sick of the heat and when it's raining, we're sick of the rain. We humans are a discontent people, don't you think?

Seems to me Phillippians 4:11 reminds us: "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content."

The rain will pass and the sun will come out again. In the meantime, let us remember the importance of simply being "content."

1 comment:

kay said...

I'm the one who prayed for the rain, so they can blame me. My parched lawn and I are very thankful... Thank you Jesus!!