Tuesday, December 29, 2009

There Is an Unseen Danger

Those of you who know me well, know that it is barely within my capabilities to think of any animal being killed.....and I DO mean, almost any animal. I don't know why and I refuse to try to explain it to those who do not understand me. It is as I have always been, all my life, an animal lover.

And so it is, that I find myself living in a house with a wonderful backyard that is overrunning with squirrels. I love watching them and nearly had one trained (at Mary's desire) to come within a couple feet of me for a peanut this past summer. But now, here we are with WAY too many squirrel nests, appearance of nesting in our attic, a "squirrel proof" bird feeder nearly ruined by their gnawing and little holes dug everywhere, including Darrel's tomato plants AND my orange trees. Even I, am not believing that I have agreed with Darrel that the squirrels have got to go. It still even seems very odd and sad feeling in my heart that I could/would say that, but it is true.

Darrel has been on high alert, watching for squirrels, sneaking out the front door and tiptoeing around to the back for a sneak attack. It was as I watched him creep around the back that I thought about this blog. "THERE IS AN UNSEEN DANGER," I thought, and the unsuspecting squirrels don't even know he's coming.

We may have the keenest eyesight on the planet, our hearing may be ultrasonic and our senses more perceptive than the smartest squirrel, but...

THERE IS AN UNSEEN DANGER.

It lurks behind every bush, hides in every corner and waits as long as is necessary to slay the unknowing. For the squirrels, the dangers name is Darrel, but for us....

His name is satan, the devil, beelzebub. He walks gently, quietly choosing the path of his steps to his unsuspecting victim. He preys on the weak, the lonely, the secure, the proud, the content. He waits and he watches until the moment is right, till the guard of his prey is let down and then he lurches with claws of steel and teeth of diamond sharpness. His grip is relentless and his intentions purposeful. He will attack and attack and attack.

THERE IS AN UNSEEN DANGER.......and he is lurking even now.

No comments: