Monday, July 28, 2008

Here's to you Grandma!










When I was a child, my grandmother lived with us. My mother worked and thus wasn't there for us most of the time, but Grandma always was. I learned at a very early age that Grandma could do anything AND would do anything for me. She taught me my first lessons about cooking etc, she taught me how to iron (I remember her allowing me to iron handerchiefs and sheets...that's all she trusted me with), she helped teach me manners, she would slip me 50 cents when no one was looking, she took up for me and defended me when need be, she talked to me and listened although the world revolved around what I was saying, she was patient with me, she was the best snuggler EVER (there was nothing in this world like being cradled to her chest), and she loved me dearly and deeply. She did many things for me that my mother couldn't or didn't have time for. When I was just a child, she was already teaching me about how to be a good Grandmother. While I'm far away from my own grandchildren and missing them terribly, my great-neices and nephews are allowing me to hug, kiss and play with them. You can see by the picture how adorable they are and they've weaved their way easily into my heart. They have actually helped ease the pain of missing my own precious grandchildren while I have been here. Thanks Grandma for teaching me such wonderful Yaya skills. I believe that my sisters and I are the good Grandmas we are because we had such a good teacher so many years ago. So, here's to you Grandma...thanks for all you taught me and thanks for all the memories. I miss you and hope that you'd approve of my Yaya skills.

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Barb...I absolutely love this comment about your grandmother...my grandmother was a saint in my eyes. As you mentioned, she had time for me when I felt the rest of the world didn't....mom was very tired by the time she had me (she had already had 5 children before I came along)....anyway, I would stay with my grandmother and sleep on her old feather mattress with her, her and grandpa shared a bedroom but had two double beds in their room (she said he snored too loud...)...I would listen to her pray out loud and I thought at the time that she was praying for everyone on earth, sometimes I would be tired and I would think "Is this going to end"...it did end in her death and how I miss those sweet prayers of hers now! Keep writing these sweet blogs...they bless my heart!