Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cowboys 'n' Indians AND Jewelry




More than 45 years ago, you would have NEVER found me indoors playing with dolls, putting on fancy pretty clothes or smearing my mother's makeup all over my face. That just wasn't my style. I hung with the boys. They were much more fun than the girls and I liked their style of games much better. Who wants to sit in the house and play Barbie dolls when there's a world of "fun stuff" waiting for you OUTSIDE?! I lived and breathed to be outside, playing with the boys. One of my favorite games was Cowboys 'n' Indians! I'll never forget the Christmas when I was about 7 or so that ALL I wanted for Christmas was a gun and holster set and cowboy boots and I didn't get them! I was crushed! I wanted to wear all that cool stuff like the boys did and not be such a sissy. Since I couldn't wear all that stuff, I decided young I'd just have to show the boys how tough I was. And I did. When I ponder those days SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long ago and I think of the fun I had being such a tomboy, who would have ever thought that today I would have been able to pull off interweaving my continued LOVE for the outdoors, my childish playful immature ways AND jewelry??? Somehow it works for me and it makes "Barb" or "Yaya" who I am. The kid in me continues to love to play outdoors with the grandkids, explore the vast unknown when possible, (like my trek to CA 10 years ago when I was about 11,000 ft elevation in the White MOuntains with only 1 other person and was in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and I was tempted to climb down into an old abandoned mine!!!). I'm not quite sure even I understand who I am!!! But, I just am me, loving the outdoor grubby stuff as well as the glamour, jewelry, SHOES and outfits stuff! Having said ALL of that.....today, I took a wire wrapping jewelry class and it was a blast. I made a beautiful swarovski crystal bracelet and had a great time learning the correct way to wire wrap. Above is a picture of my sister and I showing off our hand made bracelets! Sooooooooo, here I am now, at 55 still loving the "cowboys 'n' indians fun play within myself as well as the jewelry making dress up side of me. It's taken me MANY MANY years to LOVE me and I do. IF you only knew how refreshing it is for me to be able to say "I love myself." For many years, I did not, but I do now. It's been a process that God has walked me through, slowly but surely. I've learned to love all the weirdness about myself and my quirkiness as well as my normalness. (Although I don't think there's anything normal about me at all!!) So, I close by saying.............YEEEEEHAW......GIDDYUP and come make some gorgeous jewelry with me sometime! Ya'll come back now, ya hear and don't forget to love "you" and who God made "you" to be. You're not me....you're "you." God made you just that way, so relax and enjoy who you are! See ya later, I'm going outside to play with my great neices and nephews!!

No comments: