Thursday, July 3, 2008

Broken Chains


WOW....today I was made aware of something I did that was totally by accident and unbeknownest to me but could have been very hurtful to someone I love and respect very much. It seems that I have spent a liftetime, and that's a LONG time, trying to do my best but always seeming to miss the mark. I have strove hard to never do anything out of anger, envy, jealousy or hatred. I've learned to measure my words before they leave my mouth, most especially when it comes to something serious that needs to be said. Trust me, I've put my foot in my mouth way more times than I care to remember or even be reminded of. Because I know myself, I've learned to try to consistently cover my own tracks, if you will. I find myself going back over and over and over again any project I might be working on or something someone's asked me to do etc. Because I know I mess up often, I work harder than probably most people to NOT mess up! But, here I am again....faced with yet another mess up. I'm trying to cover my tracks while feeling great embarrasment and disappointment in myself, once again. The only good thing about this difficult situation is that the one whom I unknowingly hurt, offered sweet words of kindness and forgiveness, actually feeling worse for me as she knew I would be embarrased of my mistake. How I thank God for her she shall never know. The sweetness that dripped from her mouth was like a sweet smelling balm to my heart that was aching for what I had done. I am so delighted to know this wonderful woman and to see her growing in Christ week by week. She consistently exhibits godly character and a great love for Christ and walking in His path. I appreciate her love and forgiveness that she poured over me and will continue to hope that one day, I don't have to work so hard to not mess up. I'm not a negative person......but I truly don't see that ever happening, but I will at least continue to try to do my best. My father always used to tell me that IF I had done my best, then that was all I could do. Bless his heart, he always knew that my best was never as good as my sisters best, but it was the best for me, and so he was satisfied.
Thank you my dear sweet sister-in-Christ for loving and forgiving me. I hope if anyone who reads this realizes there is someone you need to forgive, you'll give it some thought. This woman could have held me in chains and shackles with anger, unforgiveness and hatred....but she chose NOT to. She released me from what I had done and did not make me "pay" for it with her actions. Who do you need to forgive and release today? It's time to set someone free, just like my friend did for me. Break the chain of unforgivenss today.

1 comment:

trish said...

"My good was never as good as my sister's best". As your biggest sister, this phrase certainly caught my eye, put tears in my eyes, and sadness in my heart. I first think of siblings within any family and how we watch the other siblings and "wish" we could do whatever it is just like them. Then I think of parenting and how pressure and competition can be unduly placed on a child who in their heart-of-hearts just wants to be a child. We all compare ourselves with others, our humanness just happens like that. The encouragement you received from Dad for doing your best was his approval and way of saying he loved you. You have always had a way with words. Actually, I would venture to say way toooooo many words. (I say with a sweet grin.) As much as we all "do our best" to not hurt others through words or actions, life can just beat us up at times. Jesus said that the kingdom of God is within us, but we also live in the kingdom of humanity. Let us always be thankful for friends and sisters who bring to our attention an act of humanity whereby we become aware, are forgiven, and appreciate the love in which it was delivered. The bigger person is always the one who can lovingly express an opinion and still hold you in high esteem. You are lucky to have such a friend....I'm sure many of them. I am lucky to have a little sister who was the "best" at loving nature, being true to herself, fighting for the rights of those of another color, being able to speak to strangers and make new friends immediately, and "best" of all.....bringing me to my Bible and a newfound love of My God. I sure do love you. Trish