Thursday, October 15, 2009

Spiritual Blinders

I don't know much about horse racing, but I do know one thing....they all wear blinders. I vaguely remember many years ago when I was told the purpose of these blinders. Obviously, they are to restrict the peripheral vision of the horse so as he is running his race, he cannot see what is going on to his left or right. Purposely, the owner wants his eyes to stay on the race ahead of him. I remember that this thought struck me in a spiritual way and I've never forgotten it.

I have been known MANY times through the years of teaching Sunday school classes to say to our youth...."Put your SPIRITUAL BLINDERS on, keep your eyes on the Cross ahead of you and don't pay attention to what's going on around you, just keep your eyes on the Cross ahead.

It is so easy to get caught up in day to day pain, trauma, regret, loss, heartache, unforgiveness, sorrow, indecision and trials, that we so often take our eyes off the the race ahead and we get caught up in the commotion in our peripheral vision!

It is when we take our eyes off the Cross of Christ that we get tripped up in the craziness of the world and forget who holds our future and our hope! We MUST keep our SPIRITUAL BLINDERS on and stay centered on what is AHEAD of us, not to the side, not behind, but AHEAD of us. What is ahead of us?????? THE CROSS! What have we to fear, to dread, to worry us when our eyes are solely on the Cross?

God, help me keep my SPIRITUAL BLINDERS on and be oblivious to the problems this world throws at us. YOU are my hope, my love, my life and my eyes are on the journey AHEAD........the journey to the Cross.

No comments: