Monday, October 5, 2009

Find Your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham

This very candid book, which consists mostly of Mr. Buckingham trying to convince working women everywhere that they can “have it all” and live their strongest life ever, does not convince me of this fact one bit.
The author claims that most women, do indeed, choose to work outside the home and claims that you'd have to go back to 1974 to find a percentage of women larger who want to stay home than in this day and time. He claims that this choice is based on women wanting to express themselves and make productive contributions in their life. He further claims that sustaining a feeling of being successful is difficult for a woman if she quits the world of work to become a full-time mom.
I must say that I did not enjoy this book at all. Being a Christian woman, I totally disagree with nearly everything the author writes. This book is based solely from a worldly principle, not a godly principle, which is why it is difficult for me to agree with him. His beliefs, in my opinion, are based on the principle that "me" comes first, before everything else, which is totally contrary to my belief. There is no greater fulfillment or joy than in raising godly, well-balanced children. There is no paycheck or status that means as much and I know many women who agree with that.
As a Christian, I would not recommend this book to any woman. I gleaned no useful or helpful information from this authors idea on how a woman can live her strongest life ever.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Thank You, Barb, for such wonderful insight. I'll definitely avoid this book.