Saturday, October 3, 2009

I Hate Goodbyes....

I suppose the title of this blog is no different than how most other people feel....I don't know of anyone who likes goodbyes. Saying goodbye to someone means they are leaving your presence, not to be seen for a while, a long time or possibly never again.

Like the 1 or 2 of you who read my silliness on here, I have had to say goodbye to a lot of people in my life. As I type, my mind fills with some of the many faces I've had to say goodbye to. I hated each and every goodbye and cried buckets of tears with each parting. I just don't do goodbye's very well. I'd rather crawl in a hole somewhere:(

As Romeo said to Juliet..."Parting is such sweet sorrow."

"Sweet" in that I have known you and had the pleasure and privilege of being with you....

"Sorrow" in that the leaving you is nearly more than I can bear.

And so it is that Hospice told me yesterday that it is time to say our goodbyes to my dear friend Mary. I was told we needed to tell those who love her to go ahead, say their goodbyes to her and let her know how much they love her as her days before her passing now are few.

Yep......you're right......you know what I'm going to say here.....I HATE GOODBYES. As soon as the words were out of our nurses' mouth, tears fell down my cheeks. I don't want to say goodbye to Mary....I want to laugh again with her, I want to cook her bacon, eggs, and pancakes with her favorite syrup again, I want to watch the birds and squirrels in my backyard with her again and marvel at the beauty of it all, I want to discuss the things of God with her again and watch her face smile as she learns the things of God, I want to take her to lunch again and listen as she orders nearly everything on the menu cause she never got to do that before, I want to hear her call Darrel "Teddy Bear" again......but, we are told, those days are now a memory for us and it is time now to begin to adjust with letting her go into the hands of God. I've done my best to care for her this past year, soon my Lord and Savior will take over 24/7 and He'll do a MUCH better job than I ever did.

My comfort and joy is this.....although I HATE GOODBYES....I will not really have to say goodbye to Mary because she met Jesus on July 17 of this year, (HALLELUJAH TO THE KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS) and I have the reassurance that I WILL see her again one day on the other side of Gloryland!!!! There will be no more pain there and her body will be whole again, her mind will be sharp and she'll sing and dance with the angels and I'll be right there with her.

I HATE GOODBYES but when your friend or family member knows Jesus Christ....THIS parting is not forever....it is only for a season and I shall see her again.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Dear Barb,
Praying for you tonight and for Mary. What love you have demonstrated and how she must be at such peace having spent these weeks and months next to you-one who spills the love of Christ out of you! Praying for strength for you and expect you to call when the time comes-your family at church will want to be there for Mary's family and you. Please call Mary L. or me.