Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Crossroads


When I was just a young girl, maybe 9 or 10, I remember coming upon a CROSSROAD in my life. Now, there had been many many CROSSROADS before this particular one, but this one has always stuck in my memory. I've never forgotten, not all these years later, have I forgotten.

This undoubtably won't sound like a big deal, but it was to me then and it still is even today. I had ridden my bicycle to a nearby grocery store. I do not remember why or if I was alone or with someone else.

One of my very favorite things to eat is Bing Cherries. I absolutely LOVE them! I remember way back then, going into that grocery store and crusing the aisles until I came upon the fruit aisle. There they were.....the Bing Cherries!! I remember standing and staring at them and wanting those cherries more than I had wanted anything else in a long time..........

There I was.....at a CROSSROADS!

I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I "wanted" those cherries. I also knew without a shadow of a doubt, right from wrong. BUT....I "wanted" them. There I was, at that CROSSROADS. Should I just take them? I'd only take a few, not many, just a few. What would it matter? Who could it hurt? Who would care?

It didn't take me too long to make my decision as I met the CROSSROAD square in the face. I reached up as quick as I could, grabbed a handful of cherries, shoved them in my pocket and ran for the front door. I couldn't wait to get out the door and eat the cherished fruit. I was already anticipating their sweetness and they weren't even in my mouth yet!

I had come to the CROSSROAD and made my decision.....I was young, but I had sinned and I KNEW it. I had done wrong and the guilt inexplicably overcame me. I had stood outside the door of this store, eaten my cherries and literally spit the pits right at their front door and immediately felt ashamed and overcome with guilt. I remember getting on my bike, riding all the way back home, grabbing a nickel and riding back to the store. I had no idea how much those cherries cost but I figured a nickel should cover it. I went in, ran to a cashier, and shoved my nickel at her mumbling something about paying back for the cherries I'd stolen. I ran crying out of the store I was so ashamed.

Every single day, we approach CROSSROADS in our lives. We will either choose right or we'll choose wrong. It is always our choice to do what's right or not. No one made me steal those cherries. I made that choice, just as I have made every other right and wrong choice in my life.

CROSSROADS....the next one you come to, what choice will you make? There are always consequences for our choices at the CROSSROADS.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

I've just finished catching up with your blog. For some reason my side bar on mine said your last update was a week ago, so I just decided to check your blog today and saw that you've been updating all along. Maybe I just needed to check it now and get a heavy dose of all you've had to say all at once. I've needed to read this, especially the crossroads part. Thanks, Barb.