Monday, August 31, 2009

I HELD A HUMMINGBIRD!!!!


For those of you who TIRE of hearing story after story about insects, animals and creepy crawly things.....I suggest you close out this page NOW as this is ANOTHER story about one of God's creations!

Saturday, Mary and I were sitting on the patio, enjoying the day. Dale and Easton were here and Dale had just finished mowing the grass for us (THANKS DALE!!:), while Easton was hanging out on the patio with us. All of a sudden, a hummingbird came flying onto the patio! He zoomed over my head and flew back and forth. On his final pass over my head, he flew straight into the screen on the porch and his long beak shoved right through the screen and he ended up stuck right on the screen!!!

OF COURSE, I started freaking out! I jumped up and grabbed my camera (naturally!!!) and watched the little fellow flapping his wings as hard as he could, trying desperately to free his beak from the screen, but to no avail. Easton and I were
running back and forth on the patio trying to figure out what to do! I finally decided I'd go outside and push his beak through from the other side of the screen. When I did, I ran back inside and he immediately went down to the floor. I thought he was hurt but then he came up off the patio floor and flew up and down several times but each time going back to the floor, only the last time, he layed on his back, belly up!

I was livid and about to cry as I thought he was hurt badly and dying. I really was beside myself! All I knew to do was to try to scoop him up in my hand, so I did. I reached down to him and gently picked him up and layed him in the palm of my hand and he layed right there as if he were a little puppy in my hand! I've never seen anything like it in my life! As he lay in my hand, I had the opportunity to look closely at this gorgeous little bird. Truly, they are incredible little creatures. I wish I'd of had someone take a picture of me holding him, but I was so intent on making sure he was alright and could still fly that the moment of opportunity got away and I missed it.

I walked him outside and headed toward my camphor tree, which they love, and one of the hanging plants on the tree. As soon as I reached up to place him in the plant, he flew straight up to the very top of the tree, pretty as ever.

I began shouting and praising God for the little fellow being ok. When he was belly up on the floor, I had looked at Easton and said, "Oh Lord, please let him be alright." AND HE WAS! God answered my humble cry for this little bird. I was so thrilled that he hadn't been harmed through the ordeal and he was off to enjoy another day!!!

OK, OK.....I know how silly I sound, but I don't really care. This type of thing means the world to me, nature lover that I am, and I've come to know that God allows me these sweet moments to bring great joy to my life.

I will never forget that moment, never. Neither will Mary. She was nearly as excited as I was! She spends almost all of her awake moments sitting on that patio watching the hummers, other birds and squirrels. She'd never seen anything like that happen either and I just believe in my heart that God did that for Mary and myself. In these, Mary's last days, she has come to love watching these hummers and I felt like God had unwrapped a gift for her and for me. It was the topic of conversation for the rest of the day!

Once again, I must say, thanks God. You are just too amazing for mere words. They do not do you justice. You are so good to me. Oh, and by the way God, how in the world did you make such unbelieveably gorgeous irridesent colors on a hummingbird? Where in heavens name did you get that idea? You did good God, you did good!!!

2 comments:

AngelRhoden said...

That is just too neat, Barb. What a memorable thing! It amazes me how He gives such perfect gifts to His children.

Lindsey said...

no way! that's too cool. it reminds me of the time Butch brought home a baby squirrel that fell out of a tree and I had to feed it and keep it warm ... the outcome wasn't as good though. :(