Monday, August 17, 2009

One of My Heroes

Debbie S. and I are on the same wave length. I was just going to post my blog for the night but clicked on Deb's post first. She, like myself, felt led to pay tribute to our Sam.

I heard the name Sam & Jackie F. from our senior pastor some years back. I still remember the moment. I was secretary at the church then and it was just Johnny and I. He had gone to visit this couple the night before. As Johnny came in and sat down in front of my desk the following morning, he shared what an amazing couple Sam and Jackie were. He shared with me how in love with Jesus they were and how blessed they had made him feel to have spent time with them. He went on and on about this precious couple. Johnny said their passion for Christ was incredible and he had experienced one of the sweetest home visits he'd ever had. I remember both of us, at that time, hoping that this dear couple would become a part of RRC. And they did.

Sam and Jackie meant so much to all of us. To me, they were like adopted parents. Sam always reminded me of my own father and he even took the role of a "grandfather" to my oldest son DJ. I've always believed that God sent Sam to all of us, but I know he came for my family too. You see, Sam felt he was called to minister to my son DJ. He tried to mentor him, met with him, talked with him, called him on the phone and even got a job for him. He believed in my son when many did not. He saw in DJ what others could not. He knew the potential that DJ had and wanted desperately to see him reach that potential. He never let go of DJ, never stopped praying for his return to Christ nor interceding for him and his family. Sam did what many of us say we'll do but often don't....pray. He meant business and he did literally everything he could to bring my son back to Christ. Even just a couple months ago when Sam was getting so weak, he wanted to see DJ face to face. He asked if we could meet him halfway from down south Florida where he has moved to, just so he could talk to him. He was so weak and his voice so weak and yet he continued to pray and be concerned about my son to want to see him.

Sam lived the Christian life. He was a role model to us all. I've cried on Sam's shoulder more than once as we prayed together and begged God to move. Just a short time ago when I was angered over something and hurt at the same time, it was Sam that I called for advice, prayer and help. And help me he did. I thought I was going to explode when I called Sam, I was so upset. He was so calm and he spoke words of love and peace into my life.

Sam was ONE OF MY HEROES. I'm going to bet I'm not the only one saying that, but he truly was. I will never be the same because of him and I will never forget what Sam has done on behalf of my family. Never.

I'll miss you Sam. Thank you for loving me so much, for inspiring me to pursue Christ as though my life depended on it (cause it does) and for teaching me how to love others without judgement. Thank you for listening endless hours on the phone to me when I needed a godly ear to bounce things off and when I simply just needed encouragement in my walk with Christ. You never put me on hold or asked me to call back later. You always had time for me.

This earth has lost one of its' greatest Christians but heaven has received one of its' sweetest saints.

Sam....ONE OF MY HEROES. I love you.

No comments: