Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The POWER in the Human Touch

Have you been to the nursing home lately? When you walk the halls there and go room to room, you will see hand after hand reach out to you. Each one desires to be held, to be touched. When was the last time you were around someone who got hurt, whether physically or emotionally? What is your usual response? To touch them.

There is POWER IN THE HUMAN TOUCH. Who doesn't love a hug, a hand to be held or your face to be touched with love? Most everyone loves to be shown they are loved and a big part of showing people you love them is by reaching out and touching them. I have to say that I'm often a little leary of people who don't like to be touched! I grew up in a family that did a lot of hugging/kissing/touching and I raised my family the same way.

Each day, with those I love, I make sure that I reach out and touch them. The gentle touch of a hand upon a shoulder, a pat on the head, a hand held or a sweet embrace. They are all equally important and necessary in our daily lives. We all thrive on love and knowing that people care.

THE POWER OF THE HUMAN TOUCH is much more immense than we may think about. It's healing, it's like a balm that covers us from head to toe and soothes us. A touch covers the hurt, erases the pain and fills the heart with oozing warmness.

How about it? Have you hugged your husband, your brother or sister, your child, your loved one, your friend today? Why not?

Remember, there's POWER IN THE HUMAN TOUCH. Someone's waiting for you.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Thanks for this post, Barb. I'm one of those you're "leary" of!! Touch has only in the last few years been something that has meant anything to me. However, it has been by some of the most loving examples of Christ that I've received that sweet gift of touch and now I'm still learning to pass it on. It is taking me a long time to adjust to this new way of behaving with people, but He is continually freeing me to be an extension of Him, mostly with my family circle, but I'm sure it's going to spread!