Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"A Soft Answer Turns Away Wrath"

For many of us, A SOFT ANSWER to a difficult question, an angry conversation, a confrontation or the like, can be almost impossible to accomplish. We WANT to answer people in a nice way, or at least some people do, but holding our temper, controlling our emotions and crucifying the flesh is so so hard.

Tonight, I am so proud of my husband. Actually, I am WAY more than proud, I am BEAMING. I don't know when I have ever been this proud of him. Confrontation, for Darrel is EXTREMELY difficult, and I DO mean difficult! He avoids it like the plague and would rather drink castor oil than deal with confrontation. He isn't a wordy man or one who is even good with "conversation" so "confrontation" is very far beyond what is comfortable for him.

Earlier this evening, Darrel handled a very tough situation for me. It was not my place to handle it, as the woman, it really was his. He paced a little, rubbed his chin a little and I could hear his stomach churning from the outside! But, he picked up the phone and when he opened his mouth.....God spoke.

I'm serious.....it was like God opened Darrel's mouth and spoke through him. He was, at that moment, the epitome of, "A SOFT ANSWER TURNS AWAY WRATH." He was to the point, but gentle and kind. The response on the other end of the phone was the total opposite of what we expected. As a matter of fact, not only was the reply on the other end one of humility, but half hour later, our phone rang and it was the same person calling back to apologize NOT for how they had responded to Darrel but for their initial behavior that had prompted the phone call to start with.

I firmly and with all my heart believe that because of the way my husband handled the situation and how gently, carefully and God-honoring he chose his words, God blessed the situation. Because he spoke with "soft words," not accusingly or harshly, the person on the other end also seemed to change their demeanor.

I am so thankful for what I witnessed tonight. Once again, it proves that when we are OBEDIENT to the infallible Word of God, He blesses beyond what we can imagine. As Johnny always says...."Blessings Always Follows Obedience." Today, Darrel was obedient to what God's Word says and we were incredibly blessed. Thanks God for showing Yourself true once again!

No comments: