Saturday, March 14, 2009

Tuna Casserole

When I was child, I vaguely remember my grandmother (who did most of the cooking for us) making Tuna Casserole. Typically, it would be served as a Friday night dinner. Our Catholic background had taught us that NO MEAT was served on Fridays so fish was ALWAYS on the menu on Friday nights.

Tuna casserole was just another meal, nothing particularly wonderful or cheap about it, it was just a decent meal back then.

WELLLLLLL.....I have to say it has been MANY years since I've made Tuna Casserole...if ever in my 37 years of marriage. Most of you who know me know that I'm not real crazy about fish so it most certainly wouldn't be a meal of my choosing.

BUT....for possibly the first time ever, I made Tuna Casserole Friday night for dinner. These are different days now....scrimping on a dollar, finding ways to make it go further and settling for whatever we have instead of going out and buying something more appealing or eating out. I never thought I'd say it, but the Tuna Casserole actually wasn't too bad. I'm absolutely sure that "how" it tastes is partly a state of mind. When we could afford much better and often bought it, Tuna Casserole didn't taste so good. NOW that the economy is what it is and we are ALL cutting back, good old Tuna Casserole isn't too bad. Funny, isn't it? Our thankfulness often changes depending on our state of mind or the state of our pocketbook!

"God....tonight, I am thankful for ALL you have given me to eat....whether it's Tuna Casserole or Filet Mignon......IT'S ALLLLLLLL GOOOOOOOD and I am grateful for every morsel of food I put in my mouth. Keep me mindful that there continue to be people starving to death all over this planet. Help me remember that you have always provided for me and you always will.....whether it's Tuna Casserole or Filet Mignon. For everything God, I am thankful."

"...in everything GIVE THANKS for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments: