Monday, March 23, 2009

Pop-O

This word probably means absolutely nothing to you, but to me, it meant everything. You see, Pop-O was what I often called my dad over the years.

Dad breathed his last in my arms with his head on my shoulder, just like he wanted, in January 1999. Doesn't seem possible that he's been gone 10 years now. Over the past several weeks I have been watching some of our old videos from 17 years or so ago. Man, talk about tears! I know I've shed a bucket of them as I watched so many precious memories appear on the tv screen. There was my sweet daddy over and over again. My heart yearns for him but my hands cannot reach out and touch him. The hole in my heart feels like it will never heal, I miss him so much.

But when the emptiness overwhelms me, I picture him at the throne of God, singing his little heart out like he did here with me all the time. I can see him on bended knee, head raised as he looks up at His Lord with his hands raised. His eyes are closed but his mouth is wide open as he sings at the top of his lungs to His Savior. His voice never gives out and he never tires of singing.

When I change my focus from the emptiness in my heart to the joy in my heart because I know where he is, all is well with my soul. I know I will see him again one day and together again we will sing our favorite songs...."It's A Sin to Tell a Lie," "Edelweiss," and "I Want a Girl Just Like the Girl."

Together again one day we will be, me and my Pop-O, at the throne of grace and mercy praising our wonderful Lord and Savior. I look forward to that day.

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Oh Barb, I understand this so well. Seann told me the other day that he saw a pic of my mom, dad, and brother that died recently. He said, "You know mom, I got really sad"....This opened the door for us to discuss what heaven must be like. Like you Barb...I can get so lonely for the voice of my mom, the gentleness of my dad, the laughter of my brother....but I know they are living somewhere that far surpasses this holding tank that God has us in. I love you Barb!