Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Ride

This morning, Darrel and I left for Maggie Valley, North Carolina, for a few days away on a much needed vacation. We hit the road around 7:00 a.m. and arrived at our cabin on the mountain at about 4,300 feet elevation about 4:45.

We weren't on the road very long when I realized THE RIDE itself was all part of the vacation. I had turned on the radio by the time we hit Jax and Darrel instantly said...."Remember what Johnny said about Silence and Solitude Sunday????? Hmmmmmmmmm.....I got the message and quickly turned the radio off.

Soon after, the conversation began to flow. From one subject to another, we talked and laughed at one another as the miles flew by. Before I knew it, it was time for lunch at Cracker Barrel.

THE RIDE was becoming possibly one of THE best parts of a trip that had barely begun. I had been yearning to see the colors of the leaves, the mountains, our cabin and all the sights here, but THE RIDE was blossoming like a summer rose as its' petals unfold to display its' beauty.

Sometimes, I thought, we get so caught up in the "what's ahead" that we miss "what we're in," in the right now. Know what I mean? I'm so tickled that I recognized how sweet the hours together in the car were, without any major attractions to stop at, fancy restaurants to eat at or before any souvenirs had been bought.............

THE RIDE had already been a gift worth treasuring.

1 comment:

kay said...

That's so sweet! I thought the same thing last week when Butch and I went to Atlanta. It's so nice to hang out with your best friend and talk without any interruptions,isn't it? So glad y'all are having a great time,y'all deserve it!