Thursday, November 12, 2009

Answered Prayer in Cataloochee Valley





Every so often, we ask God for something that's so simple and unimportant that we almost feel bad for asking Him! Know what I mean?

Today was one of those days. Darrel and I got up when we felt like it, ate a late breakfast at a wonderful restaurant overlooking Maggie Valley and were trying to decide what to do for the day. I really wanted to drive to Cataloochee Valley to see the wild elk that roamed there but we were told by the locals AND by all the brochures we read that the best time to view them was early morning and at dusk and it was about 1-2 in the afternoon before we took off on the drive.

On the way up into the mountains to get to the valley, I simply asked the Lord to allow me to see just one elk, that's all......just one. As we made the long trek back into the mountains on a very narrow road, I just knew in my heart that it was gonna happen. OK...maybe childlike faith, maybe I'm just too stubborn to admit it might not happen BUT, I was convinced it would.

When we rounded the corner to approach the valley, there was nothing but wild turkey to see but I had already thanked the Lord for them anyway! ANY wild animals thrill my heart, so I was tickled. The drive continued and we rounded another bend and there before us, lay a wide expanse of beautiful field filled with wild elk!!! All I could do was shout THANK YOU LORD! I yelled to Darrel, "IT'S ANSWERED PRAYER IN CATALOOCHEE VALLEY!!"

I was humbled by the sight. God did it for me. It didn't matter that we were told they weren't seen much during the day! GOD saw fit to let me view these incredible creatures! These creatures roam wild. There are no fences, no restrictions, although you are asked to not approach them or feed them. We pulled over, got out of the car, set up the tripod with the video camera and just stood mesmerized for 30-45 minutes while we watched. The one huge male every so often would make this incredible noise and then run at one of the females. What a sight!

I counted 38 elk! 38!!!!!! And all I'd asked for was one!!! Thank you sweet Abba for your gesture of love on me today. Darrel and I were in awe of your work.

ANSWERED PRAYER HAPPENED IN CATALOOCHEE VALLEY today and we praise His name for it!

No comments: