Thursday, November 5, 2009

An Hour of Your Time




You know, if you'll really think about it and admit it, MUCH can be accomplished in only an hour. There are countless tasks that can be completed, countless joys that can be had and countless glorious things that can be done in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Sixty minutes sounds like such a small amount of time, but it's really not. Today was one of those days that much was accomplished in one hour.

The first THursday of every month, I wait at our church for any 6th-12th graders who will join me to go visiting at the local nursing home. Every month it's different. One month we had 18 show up whie another time, only one youth came. I never know who will come, but it's always such a joy and a blessing, whether there's one or twenty.

Upon arrival, the excitement always amazes me! I mean, come on, it's the NURSING HOME, after all!! And yet, their spirits are high, conversation loud and laughter contagious! Truly, they are amazing. You might think that they are standoffish and shy, and some are, but most take off in small groups without me and wander around on their own. It's always understood that we meet back in the foyer at 5:00 and there are always stories they have to tell me about who they talked to on their visits and what was said. It's so sweet.

Today, what a blessing when I saw Wyatt waving me to hurry up and come down the hallway to him. He had a huge grin on his face. The woman in the room had been his teacher years ago and he wanted to go in and see her. I stepped into the room and a gentleman about my age was there. She was his mother. I asked permission for the kids to come in and he welcomed their visit. Much to our surprise this very elderly lady recognized Wyatt and called his last name! What a treat to visit with her and bring a smile to her face. We were there to bless her and yet, she blessed us. Thank you God. We also were blessed to hear Mrs. Henry Y. share an incredibly deep and powerful lesson she learned today. She shared a story about what God had shown her. Man, it was good.

AN HOUR OF YOUR TIME "CAN" make a difference in a life. It does every single time we go to the nursing home. One hour...just one hour....can bring joy unspeakable to someone. Isn't it worth it to you?

I sure am proud of all our youth, but most especially today, those 11 who came to give of themselves. Thanks you guys and Mrs. Henry Y. Thanks also for posing for the pictures! I love you all dearly but Jesus loves you more:)

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

Thank you, thank you, Barb.