Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Gospel & Gene


A mere 24 hours has passed since our brother Gene has gone to live forever with his Jesus. How I wish we could see him now in his new healed body and singing all those songs he so loved to sing that told the story of his precious Lord.

Gene loved the Gospel. He clung to it. He yearned for it. He shared it. He lived it. He taught it. He drank it in. He counted on it. He cherished it. He wanted everyone to hear it and to receive it.

If you ever went on a trip to Honduras with Gene, you saw a gentle giant in action. When it came to spreading the Gospel, he was intent, focused and systematic about making sure no home was left not stopped at in our witnessing. I remember the early days, before Gene knew Spanish. It drove him crazy not being able to go through the cube himself. It wasn't long until Gene began learning Spanish and was not only able to go through the cube himself but eventually, could interpret for the rest of us! He was driven and so passionate.

I wish I could have seen the line of souls that came to thank him upon his arrival in heaven for bringing the Gospel to their door, their street, their business, their church, their school or their orphanage! There's probably still a line passing by him to say "thank you."

It was Gene who Cathy M. and I bugged and bugged and bugged way back in the first years of RRC mission trips, to let us go! Every year, it was the same....NO! But we persisted and Gene finally gave in and allowed Cathy and I to be the first women from our church to get to go on a mission trip. We shall never forget that trip to Panama, nor shall I ever forget my last trip with him exactly 1 year ago this month. I can see Gene now, dressed up in his Goliath costume that we talked him into wearing! What a sight and what a memory I will never ever forget.

Thank you Gene.....thank you for all you accomplished for the sake of the call.......thank you for the passion for spreading the Gospel that you infused into so many of our adults and young people.......thank you for your untiring work at our church.......thank you for the godly example you were as we watched you walk through trials throughout your life and even up to your homegoing.......thank you for giving me and Cathy a chance to prove that women did have a place on mission trips and had just as much to give in a different way.......thank you for loving my family and praying for my sons over the years.......thank you for being the man of God you were......thank you for everything.

I miss your presence already but we will meet again. Only next time, it won't be on a dusty road in Honduras, it'll be on a street made of gold! Thank you God for Gene. When you gave him to all of us, you sure did do a good thing. Another one of my heroes is gone. I will never forget you Gene and will forever be grateful for your life and your living.

No comments: