Tuesday, November 24, 2009

May I Have a Sip Please?

When I was a little girl, my mother's FAVORITE drink was Pepsi. Now, mind you, we had Pepsi in our home but I don't remember it being for the 3 of us. It was for my mother.

Each evening after dinner, my mother would go upstairs, take her bath and come downstairs smelling so good with her jammies and her housecoat on and she would always have a glass of Pepsi in her hand. Once she sat down, I would often sit at her feet and longingly gaze up at her as she drank her Pepsi. What I nightly said to her was always the same, "MAY I HAVE A SIP PLLLLLLLEASE?" Very seldom did I get a drink, just a sip was all I was allowed. After all, it was hers, not mine.

Don't ask me why, but this is just how my crazy brain works.....I don't know why this came to my mind today, but it did. I thought about my mom giving me only a "sip" of what I was so thirsty for. What if, mind you, what if, THAT is how the lost see us? You know, as only willing to give "A sip" of ourselves and no more. They are THIRSTY for what we have yet we give only enough to wet their mouths but not quench their thirst.

"For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;
naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me. Then the righteous will answer Him, Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?
The King will answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me." Matthew 25:35-40

Oh Father.....burden me for those who are THIRSTY for the One I drink from daily.....help me empty myself so that I may give freely to those who want more than a sip.....to those who want to drink long and hard of You. Help me be willing to give all You have given me to quench the THIRST of those who so desperately need a drink of You. Someone is waiting.

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

This was deep! Loved it! Just so you know....I'm always reading and cherishing your blog....just don't get to respond with the depth that I want to....love how you tie family memories to life lessons....