Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Simple Pleasures 2





About 6 weeks ago, my daughter and son-in-law began moving into their new home. It was such an exciting day as we began unpacking all the boxes. Once again, as only children can, Easton and Titus found "simple pleasure" in climbing into the boxes that were full of newspapers from unwrapping dishes. They must have sat in their boxes at least 20 minutes or so, happy to be alive and not a care in the world! As I watched them laugh and try to hide from each other underneath their newspaper, I nearly cried at the sweetness of the moment. Right in the middle of the chaos and confusion of moving day, these precious grandsons of mine found sheer joy in an empty box and wrinkled up newspapers!!!!

There must be a lesson in this simple scene. How is it that most adults look so hard to find things to entertain themselves and make them laugh. So often, the sweetest and funniest memories and times of our lives, are ones when we simply acted goofy and laughed our tails off with family and friends. I have literally thousands of memories of my children and grandchildren where something silly was done and the joy was instant and a sweet memory was made.

Next time you're bored and looking for something to do....grab a family member OR friend and just do something silly!!! Proverbs tells us that a merry heart is like medicine to the soul. It doesn't take money to have a great time....go ahead.....act crazy and let the laughter and memory begin!

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

I'm going to grab a box (if I can find one big enough) and stuff it with newspaper and sit slap dab in the middle of it...it just looks like so much fun! (And I dare the phone to ring or anyone to talk to me while I'm in my box)