Monday, October 13, 2008

What a Nickel Could Buy




When I was a mere 2 years old, we lived in a pretty pathetic corner apartment up above a little store in Chicago. We were dirt poor. If I'm remembering correctly, we were given a nickel on Saturday to purchase whatever our little hearts desired from the store downstairs.....or we could save it. Of course, saving it NEVER entered my mind! NOT ONCE! I mean, come on, why would it, when the candy behind the glass counter downstairs was constantly calling my name!!

I waited all week for that precious nickel and once it was in my hand, my little feet couldn't carry me down the stairs fast enough to spend it. The candy was all behind glass and everything, as I remember, was 5 for a penny! Oh man, what a nickel could buy!!:) I loved licorice whips, candy dollars, satellite wafers, marshmallow cones, candy buttons and so much more! YUM! And you got 5...count em...1, 2, 3, 4, 5 for a penny! Man, you'd toddle out of there with a small brown bag FULL of candy and all for a nickel! It was great!

I have been a candy addict all my life! I'm guessing that I came out of the womb asking for chocolate as opposed to milk! My body craves it and it's a must have every day for me. I've been doing Weight Watcher's for a little over a year now and I still make room for candy every day! You'd think at my age the cravings would diminish but not so.

Man, a nickel....a little silver nickel would buy a whole bag of candy back in 1955.
A nickel won't even buy gum in a machine anymore. Sad, isn't it?

Candy and I have been best friends for a long time. I wonder if this friendship will ever end? I don't think so. As a matter of fact, I think I'll go open a bag of the pixy-stix I bought for myself a while ago!!!

2 comments:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Barb...this is so true. I just told my children the other day that I remember when a loaf of bread was 50 cents, they almost laughed me under the table.

trish said...

Funny the things we all remember of our childhood. It was a nickel we received on Friday after Dad got paid. I can still see Mrs. O'Reilly standing behind the counter waiting patiently as the three of us made our decisions as to how full we could get our little brown bag. The other funny thing to watch is how that candy was devoured or savored for a later day. If you could plan on spending only four cents, still pack your little brown bag with candy, and come home with a little money------you could then tease your little sisters when they had gobbled all their candy and spent all their money. Gosh, did I do that----well maybe. I'm off to get a Hershey bar----I hid them so Bob couldn't find them and he's sleeping now. Oh YEAH.