Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10 Minutes in the Rocking Chair


Early this morning, decked out in my robe, (only because I was late getting up this morning) Darrel and I sat out front in Sum/Dale's rocking chairs. I was waiting for Butch to get here with the kids and Darrel just sat down next to me working on last minute laptop stuff before he headed out for the day. BUT...there was a few passing minutes there that we enjoyed a delightful conversation about life and dreams and our hopes for the future. As our economy is failing more daily, Darrel and I discussed our future, our finances and our continued dreams in spite of it all. Our conversation lasted a mere 10 minutes or so but it was wonderful. As we sat sharing together, I thought about how quickly life passes us by and how seldom we have, or should I say take, these wonderful opportunities. My last blog before this one was about our oldest son turning 36. When I think about the fact that 36 entire years have passed since his birth, I realize clearly how quickly life and the living of it, is fleeting. James 4:14 tells us that life is but a vapor quickly fading away. Isn't it sad that it appears that we do not ever seem to fully understand this fact until we get older? I cherish every moment now so much more than I did when I was younger. Life is STILL good, despite the economy, despite things falling down around us. Life is STILL good...not because of anything that man has done but because of everything GOD HIMSELF has done and IS DOING.
It's amazing how refreshing, comforting and joyfilled a simple 10 minute conversation can be. Through it, God reminded me how fleeting life is and how each moment, whether shared in wonderful conversation sitting in a rocking chair, or shared in pain and strife, should be lived as our last. Life is a vapor...quickly fading away. It's our choice how we live it. Thank you God for a few moments in time when problems slipped away and conversation was sweet.

No comments: