Monday, October 6, 2008

Grandma's Hands


YIKES....they're here....I've finally got them......my Grandma's wrinkly hands! I remember as a little girl looking at my Grandmother's hands a lot. It wasn't that I simply sat and stared at her hands, it was just that her hands were ALWAYS busy and since I watched her and followed her around a lot, I noticed those precious hands. Those dear hands ironed, cooked, did the dishes and helped me button all those buttons when I was just a wee one. What I always remembered about her was those wonderful hands full of wrinkles! I don't mean that in a cruel way, it was just an observation as a child. I remember looking at her hands and wondering about all the things those hands had done in her life.

Now, here I am, just as of this morning, realizing that my hands are beginning to look like my Grandma's hands. For a moment, it made me feel old and a bit sad and then I realized it was a good thing. I thought, you know, if my hands could accomplish even a portion of blessings that my Grandmother's hands ministered to me, then it was an honor to have wrinkly hands like Grandma's.

Every single day I want my hands to be used to minister peace, blessings, comfort, encouragement and love, just as my dear Grandmother's did. NOW is the best time in my life with my grandchildren all around me and with so many in our church and community to use my hands to bless.

Lord, use my hands for your glory and let them be instruments of your peace....just like Grandma's were to me. After all Lord, there's lots of little hands in my life that are holding on to them.

1 comment:

trish said...

Oh, I love the picture and the wonderful memories you stirred of sweet Grandma. If our feet are what takes us on our journey through this life, it is our hands that hug, hold and heal and help everyone who is in our lives. I love you.