Friday, October 10, 2008

It's OFFICIAL Now For Sure!

Well, it took me 4 1/2 months to do it, but I finally did it last night! What, you say??? Well, I made turning a "senior citizen" 100% official by going to our church monthly VIP dinner. You or your spouse must be 55 or older to attend these events. VIP stands for "Vintage Impacted People" and that is now me!

Man, it felt weird! I am so used to spending a lot of time with youth, not seniors! When I walked in I felt as though I wasn't supposed to be there. You know, like how you would feel if you went to a party uninvited. Oh, I was welcome, of course, but I felt amazingly weird!

Of course, within minutes, I was fine and was enjoying the atmosphere and conversation and the food! It was great. We had a wonderful time but I sat listening to the singing wondering, once again, how could I possibly be old enough to be part of the VIP group???? It was only yesterday that I was thrown a 30th surprise birthday party, the only one ever thrown for me. Now, I have children older than that! I looked around the room at the 40 something or so people and thought about the wisdom sitting in that room. I was sort of in awe as I sat there.

This December, for the first time at our annual VIP Christmas dinner, Darrel and I will "sit" at a table instead of "serving" one. Now THAT is going to be REALLY WEIRD! I guess it's another chapter in my life but it's going to take me some time to get used to it! Some days I'm thrilled to have the turned the page into this new chapter and others, I wish I could turn back the clock.

Ah well....it is what it is so I might as well embrace it.

Wonder where my AARP card is???

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

I cannot wait to be a VIP....only three more years (Mike will be 55)....those people know how to live and are packed with wisdom....I want to learn from them and hear their memories and dream! You are so blessed to be in this "club" now!