Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What "REALLY" is Important In This Life?

OK....so I've been thinking again today. This past Sunday in our SS class, we had an amazing lesson. We are studying Philippians and we're in the first chapter. There are so many things to be learned from Paul, deep spiritual lessons that should change our lives.

I am one of millions of people who daily forget what "really" is important in our lives. While I'm picking out my clothes, fixing my hair, deciding on dinner, choosing a place to shop, and doing the myriad of things I do, I often forget what "really" IS important. Paul made it clear to us as did Jesus Himself. It's furthering the Gospel....period. Oh yeah, all those above things need to be done and rightly so, but let us not forget the main thing in this life that should be our daily focus...spreading the Gospel.

Paul touched the depths of my heart when in chapter 1 he immediately speaks to us from his prison cell and declares loudly that the Gospel must be proclaimed with boldness and exalted in our bodies. Wouldn't it have been easy for Paul to wish Christ would take him home and get him out of that prison? But instead, even though he wrestled with this, he realizes that for the greater good of spreading the Gospel, he desires to stay as he realizes this is more necessary for Christ's sake. Man, we all need a dose of this great desire, don't we? We, including myself, live too much of our lives self-absorbed, self-satisfied and just plain selfish. We daily forget what the purpose of living is all about. We have lightbulb moments off and on when we remember what it is we were put here for in the first place, but then life gets in the way again and off we go on our own agenda.

We MUST step up to the plate and be BOLD when it comes to our Jesus. He deserves that from us. We need to stop backing down from speaking the truth of the Word to people and just speak it in love! When I think of "spreading" anything, to me, that word means slathering something all over. Let's SLATHER Jesus all over everyone we come in contact with people!

Lord, help me remember what life "REALLY" is ALL about....it's YOU Lord, SLATHERING YOU everywhere I go.

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

O.K., I did not read your blog until after I wrote a post this morning (overwhelmed)....anyway, let me just suffice it to say that this was what I needed to hear this morning. It really is just about HIM....not me and my whining, pitiful self. So...AMEN....Preach it sista! I love you and thank you for such a great post!