Monday, September 22, 2008

The Greatest Gifts I've Ever Been Given


Isn't life funny? As I sat and did some thinking this morning, my children's growing up years flooded my mind. There in my mind, I saw my firstborn, DJ. I vividly remember the day we brought him home from the hospital. I was so young and hadn't a clue of what having a baby around was all about. I did my best figuring things out when he came along but by 2 months of age, I unknowingly fed him so many baby carrots that he turned orange! Since we didn't have a clue what was wrong with him we took him to the doctor as we were so worried he was orange, only to find out that I was feeding him too many carrots! What can I say??? He liked them the best so that's what I gave him! How ridiculous now when I look back on it. None of my family lived close to me and I had no one to help me nor give me much guidance and so, I learned many things the hard way. Regardless of my ignorance, he grew into a sweet quiet little boy who warmed my heart.

Then my mind wandered to my second born son, Butch. From the day of his birth, somehow I knew this child was going to be most like me and he was AND is. He was a character already by the age of 6 months! Even then, when he was mad because you wouldn't give him his bottle, he'd bang his head back on my chest and yell! As he grew, he, like me, always had a voice about everything! He brought so much laughter to this house and so much fun as he grew as well as so many "opportunities for growth" in all of us! He loved every animal that came along and welcomed every person he met into our home and life. He was a joy...EXCEPT FOR THOSE TRYING YEARS THAT HE ALMOST KILLED US!!!!! :)

Then I thought about my last born and only daughter, Summer. Her birth was a time of rejoicing, not just because she was our first girl, but her daddy was present for her amazing birth. I can still see the look on his face as he layed her in my arms. She was such a tiny little thing and so sweet. She completed our family so beautifully and her brothers immediately took to her, especially DJ. As she grew, her perfection about everything became obvious. She liked things "just so" and still does. It was so wonderful having a little girl to play "girly" games and such with. She and I were closer than two peas in a pod as she grew. She made me feel complete. She was an easy child and a wonderful little girl.

Now, those precious children are grown and gone, all with families of their own. Sometimes, the quiet is deafening around here, sometimes wonderful. Today, it is deafening. Memories are such precious gifts from God but sometimes they make us cry too. As I love on, play with and cuddle my own grandchildren, it makes me miss the days when my own were little.

Ahhhhhh....I suppose that is enough reminiscing for one day.....actually, more than enough. How grateful I am for the 3 gifts of my children that God gave me. As they approach their 36th, 34th and 29th birthdays next month, I realize I love and cherish them more than ever. They are God's greatest gifts to me and always will be. There's nothing I love doing more than spending time with them. Thank you God, thank you God for DJ, Butch & Summer. I have always had a favorite verse that I have prayed over them for years and continue to do so...
"And now, may the Lord bless and keep you, may the Lord make His face shine upon thee and be gracious to thee, may the Lord lift up His countenance upon thee and give thee peace." Numbers 6:24-26

I love you and miss you my children.

3 comments:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Barb...thanks for making me cry...I am such a crybaby anyway!~ I have struggled lately with my own children being grown and not really knowing my place in this world anymore. They are truly a gift from God and now they are completed the circle of life that God intended and that is not needing us as much but Oh my....how I want to be needed some days.

akab74 said...

Hmm... The part where you say I am most like you, is that a good or bad thing?!? HAHA!! I thank God that I am like you. Just remember, what doesn't kill you (or almost kill you) makes you stronger!! Think about how much stronger you are now, because of ME!!

Butch

Michele said...

I know what you mean Ms. Barb. With Morgan graduating this year, I find myself looking through old pictures and crying an awful lot. I know that God has a wonderful plan for her and that He is in control. It is just sometimes hard for me to let go and let her grow up. I want to keep her in pigtails and ruffles forever. Thanks for all of your encouragement. Love ya, Michele