Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Thoughts of Chicago


At 7:45 this morning, I was out front, watering my plants AND SWEATING LIKE A PIG! This is ridiculous! I fretted and fumed and repeated again how I dislike Florida, all to myself and the dog. Now I suppose since she's only 3 1/2 pounds, she probably prefers the summer but NOT ME! Not the FLORIDA summer anyway! Good grief...the heat and humidity is enough to smother a person. I'm sick of it and I long for my Chicago days. NORMAL temps to me are NOT 90's and humid for months on end! YUK! I long for the changing of ALL 4 seasons and the enjoyment I found in each one of them.

I can remember winters in Chicago more clearly than any other season in my childhood, I suppose because they were so MUCH fun! Standing at the back door getting all bundled up by Grandma...she'd start with your regular clothes, then the sweater went on, the hooded coat would go on, then your scarf would be wrapped around your neck, the mittens would be pulled on and clipped inside. And that was just the TOP HALF OF YOUR BODY! OHHHHH, how I loved those days. Trudging out in the snow and having a ball! I yearn for colder weather right now.

Here's a great picture of my sister MANY MOONS ago that shows how we were dressed! It was a pain getting into all this garb but a blast outside once you got there! Man, I miss those days...

Think I'll go stick my head in the freezer and pretend I'm back in good old Yankee Land!

3 comments:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Barb...I long for seasons also (even though I have always lived in Florida and Georgia and don't know any different). What a cute pic....looks like a mini michelin tire man! I'm with you though....tired of my makeup melting off....

debseveryday said...

I want cool/cold weather now! Let's just all pick up and move to North Carolina..we'll take the church with us.

trish said...

Oh dear.....I haven't seen that picture in ages. The most amazing thing to me is that my figure hasn't changed over the years and I'm now 62. Guess that's the way it is supposed to be. I love every precious memory of playing in the snow. Today, I wish never to shovel another flake of snow-----so you will not be moving back to Chicago, you are coming to California where we can get to snow in three hours----when we want to. Wish you were here.