Thursday, February 11, 2010

16 Girls

THey came in the door kicking off their shoes and immediately, the conversation was in full gear here on Tuesday night. As each one of them came in, I silently thanked God. 16 GIRLS walked through my door, each one grinning, some bearing goodies or soft drinks, but almost all of them carrying their "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" books that we are going through together for the next 8 or so weeks.

16 GIRLS graced my humble home this week and their voices still echo within these walls. They are so full of life, joy in the moment, questions, giggles, laughter and many whispered prayer requests in the ear of this older woman who feels so honored to have them in her life. They bring great joy to me and they teach me more than they shall ever know.

As I look around the circle of beautiful faces, I wonder where God will take them, how HE will use them and how they will serve Him one day. I wonder how many will follow His call on their lives and how many will choose to direct their own path. I wonder who will choose to do whatever they want to do and possibly turn away from God. As much as I would pray that won't happen, I know that more than likely it will. After working with youth some 16 or so years now, I've seen more run from God than I like to think about. I know that not all will choose to follow Him and deep in my heart, I already ache for them. I study their faces and silently pray for a hunger for Jesus to begin to flourish deep within their hearts.

I pray they won't make the same mistakes I have made. I pray they won't have to learn the hard way how faithful our God is. They are young, they have so much to give and so much to learn.

16 GIRLS God......You know their names, You know their hearts, the hard parts and the soft parts. Move in their lives Lord, move.

3 comments:

AngelRhoden said...

Dear Barb,
I watched them entering and leaving your house the other night, my own included, and was so touched seeing them hug each other and you...especially you because you have meant so much to them. I'm so thankful for your willingness to share the good stuff with them.

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Barb, I am so excited about this for our girls and am praying for you as you lead them through this and each one of them, that they'll take away from it what God intends to teach them through it. How neat, they choose to be there studying what God's word says about dating (or not)....

Lindsey said...

I am so glad this study is going well! I really hope they got what I did out of it. :)