Monday, January 11, 2010

Grandma's Hands


It may sound strange, but especially in winter time, I miss my GRANDMA'S HANDS.

You see, in the winter season, GRANDMA'S HANDS were constantly helping me bundle up, one layer after another, to go out into the snow. Gently and lovingly, Grandma would make sure that each layer of warmth was "just enough" and that I would be warm once outside.

Grandma would make me stand on a clear hallway plastic liner that was just inside the door when the process would begin. First came the undershirt, then the long sleeved shirt of her choosing, then a sweater, then the first layer of socks followed by the wool socks. Then, on came some sort of long underwear type of thing, then your pants, then your leggings. Next layer was the face mask, then your winter coat, hood and all. Once the coat was on, she'd pull your hood up. THEN, she'd reach up into the sleeves of your coat and pull out the little elastic piece that had a clip on the end that was attached to your mittens! (This way, your mittens were always attached and you didn't loose them PLUS they'd stay tucked into your sleeves!) Next, she sweetly wrapped my scarf around the outside of my hood and neck so that my head could barely move! If you've ever seen the movie, "Christmas Story" then you know what I looded like! I could barely move by this point but who cared, snowballs fights, ice skating, sledding, riding the coaster and making snow angels was just outside the door, waiting for me. Then finally, she'd kiss me on the forehead, tell me to be careful and to come back when I was wet!!!

Yep, once you'd stayed out long enough and got packed down with snow, you'd have to come inside, stand on the plastic liner, be stripped down by GRANDMA'S HANDS and start the process all over again with another whole set of dry clothes from the bottom up!!!

The winter time makes me miss my precious grandmother's hands. She was a huge part of my life, as she lived with us all my growing up years until I was 13. SHE comforted me, watched over me, cooked for me and guided me when my mom was working during the day. I shall never forget her and I'm sure that I have modeled my own grandmothering skills after her. She was a constant in my life, always there, always teaching me and loving me in her quiet way. This picture of her was taken some 59 or so years ago, before I was born and is of her my sister Pat.

It's cold outside and I miss GRANDMA'S HANDS tonight.

1 comment:

AngelRhoden said...

So sweet knowing that your grandchildren are probably going to be writing something like this about you, Barb. You plant so much into them.