Friday, June 20, 2008

"I Love You, Yes I Do, I Love You..."


For as many years as I can remember, my father used to sing this song to me, "I love you, yes I do, I love you..." Even only minutes before his death, we sang this old 1940's song to each other. I even had the notes to this song engraved on his headstone. This song has always been tremendously special to me. I began singing this song to my grandson Easton when my daughter and son-in-law lived in North Carolina. He was born there, so there were many trips back and forth up the interstate to visit them while they lived there. Even when Easton was a baby and could not respond to me, my daughter would put him on the phone and I'd sing this to him. Once he began talking well enough to communicate with people, I'll never forget the day that he looked at me and said, "Yaya, you sing that song on the phone to me!" Even though he was little, he recognized that for many months I had been singing this song that I loved so dearly and was now singing to him. It was a sweet moment to see the realization in his eyes, the connection. Now, several years later, as our new grandson, his little brother, I continue singing this little song to him also. I called my daughter just a few minutes ago and I could hear Ty crying in the backround. He's been sick all week and they have been out of town and I haven't seen them. She put little 11 month old Ty on the phone and I began singing the song to him. His crying immediately stopped and I could tell he was soothed and calmed by Yaya's voice and the song. How tremdously special to know that this song, that calmed my heart, brought great joy to my being and has such special memories for me, was once again doing its' work! Now it's my turn to sing to my grandchildren, just as my daddy sang to me. Isn't God good? Their grandfather lives on as I pass on this tradition to my grandchildren and it just feels so sweet within my heart. How thankful I am for my father and the love of music he gave me. Now it's my turn to pass that love to my grandchildren. To my 3 children and all my precious grandchildren...."I love you, yes I do, I love you..."

No comments: