Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Willingness


Sometimes, to be willing, means we have to give up something. It might mean we have to give up our time, our fears, our possessions or even a bit of ourselves. For many, this is difficult. First we must recognize that there is a need to be met. Once we can admit that, then second, we must make the choice if we will step up to the plate and help in whatever way we can to meet that need. It's in the second half of this thought process that we might struggle to do what needs to be done. Many of us are just so busy with our own lives that we don't want to step up. Some of us have the attitude that someone else will do what needs to be done, but not me. But I'd like to say BRAVO to those who, when faced with this thought process and decision, lay their selfishness aside and do the right thing. I think of my aunt and uncle, who even though are in their 70's still take the time to mentor young youth. Trust me, they have their own aches and pains they deal with and very very busy lives and yet, they make time to pour love and time into these children's lives! This is "willingness" at its' finest. They also volunteer countless hours delivering food to the needy and elderly as well as many activities within their community and for the U of I. I also saw "willingness" at its' finest last night in our youth mission team meeting. One young lady, who although was not fully prepared to do what was asked of her, willingly stepped up to the plate and gave it her best, all with a smile on her face! "Willingness"....how wonderful to see and experience first hand. I wonder how often we are faced with the decision to act upon an opportunity and do what might be difficult for us, but do it anyway. My aunt and uncle and this young lady move me to examine my own life and how "willing" I am in whatever situation comes my way. I hope I'm simply found to be willing to act, to move, to give, in any situation that comes my way.

1 comment:

debseveryday said...

I pray that I can have the same kind of willingness as a senior adult as your aunt and uncle, and not "retire"
love you-Deb