Thursday, December 11, 2008

God Works in Unknown Ways


The picture you see of this dear man, is someone the Lord Himself recently brought into my life. At first, I wasn't quite sure I understood why, but now, it is clear to me. (This picture was taken a year or more ago. I took a picture of this picture to be able to post it. That's why the date shows today.)

Several months ago, I introduced myself to this precious man who was seated in the back row of the church, on the far left. I remember he caught my eye because he reminded me of my own father. I stopped, hugged him and introduced myself and from that moment one, the bond began.

I shall never understand how the Lord God Almighty works, but He has taught me that He always brings people into our lives for a reason. I immediately loved Don and I could tell the feelings were mutual. Not long after the first time we met, Don's wife Mary had to be hospitalized. I knew that I should go and minister to them in the hospital and I did. This was the first time I met Mary. Don was still able to be up and around and he was doing his best to care for her in the hospital.
Once Mary came home, it wasn't long after that Don's health began to fail and he began wearing oxygen in our church services. I could tell his health was quickly slipping away.

As my visits to he and Mary increased, the friendship grew stronger. Not long later, Don was put in the hospital and then sent to the nursing home. He remained there only a week or two and daily visits to see him became precious to me. I loved to make him laugh and we shared stories and jokes together. Much of the time, I'd tell him stories about my own father and tell him how much he reminds me of him. He always would smile when I told him this.

Don is now back in his own home, where he wants to be. He has brought so much joy to me. I do not know much about his life nor his past, but I do know this....God sent him my way to be a blessing to him. Since my own father's death, I have yearned desperately for my dad and I have counted it all joy that God put Don in my path to minister to him and to Mary.

You know, I preach constantly to my children and grandchildren the importance of giving to others, of our time, our talents and ourselves. God has given me this opportunity, right here at Christmas time, to put my own selfish desires aside to be the hands, feet and mouthpiece of Christ to someone in great need. What an honor and a priviledge that God would allow me to be used in such a way.

As Don's health continues to slip away, I rejoice that he knows Christ in a personal way. Don joyfully awaits the moment his eyes see his Lord and Savior and knows that his mansion awaits him upon his arrival!
I am so thankful to God for people that He strategically places in our paths. Don has helped me to remember how short life is and I'm thankful that God chose to use me to minister to Don.

Thank you Lord for Don and Mary and for your peace upon their lives. Please pray for them as they face the difficult days ahead.

No comments: