Monday, December 22, 2008

The Gift ANYONE Can Afford to Give


Today I drove in to Jax to visit my grandchildren. My 7 year old granddaughter Natalie wasn't quite sure what she wanted for Christmas so to make things easier, I just took her to Toys'R'Us to shop. We walked the aisles, and everywhere were shoppers looking for the perfect gift for their children. Many had worried looks on their faces and seemed to be pacing trying to find just the right gift. I tried smiling at everyone. Some smiled back, some just looked at me as though I was nuts, but I kept on smiling.

After she picked out the perrrrrrrrrfect Christmas gifts she wanted (within the price range Yaya gave her!) we went to Chick-Fil-A for lunch. When we went in, it looked as though a greyhound bus had just unloaded there were so many people in all the lines. As we waited patiently, I smiled at everyone. We were all stuck there in the same lines and as I continued to smile, I saw people who were frowning, beginning to smile back at me. Some looked at me in astonishment because I was smiling but all around, people started smiling back at me. The service was so quick and so curteous that I felt compelled to go tell the manager what a great job they were doing and how much I appreciated it. He seemed shocked that I would stop, smile and compliment their service when everyone was rushing so much and apparently only worrying about their own day.

A simple SMILE certainly does go a long way. It's a gift that's free of charge that anyone can give. When we smile at someone, it does bring a little joy to others lives. A smile can perk anyone up even in the midst of a tough day. It's one of the ways we have of letting the light of Jesus shine the brightest through us.

Tomorrow, when you set out for your new day, try smiling at everyone you meet. It's a gift that anyone can afford. Your smile just might make someone's day and be just the gift they needed.

SMILE!!

No comments: