Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sweet Memory from the Past


Many many many years ago...approximately 40-50, my parents purchased what I thought was THE most beautiful Christmas tree in the whole world!

I remember as my dad pulled each silver branch out of the box, I was enthralled with its' beauty. I had never seen anything like it. To me, it seemed so big and beautiful. My mother would hang red balls on it and then of course, came the revolving color globe! WOW was all I could think. I'd sit and watch as each of the colors would come around in the circle, always trying to decide which color I liked the best...red, blue, green or yellow.

Long before my father passed away, he gave our old tree to me. This year, since our daughter and son-in-law have so much of their furniture here in our house while they are building their own, we found our family room pretty crowded. Soooo, it just felt right to pull out my old tree and save the big green tree for next year.

As Darrel placed each old silver branch into place, the memories flowed through my mind. Of course, I had to finish the tree with red balls, just like my mother would have. Then, I draped the beautiful Christmas tree skirt that my daughter made for me 3 christmases ago underneath it.

My old silver tree isn't nearly as big as it seemed to be when I was a child, but its' memories are hidden in the branches and they speak joy to my heart each time I look at them. In all its' splendor, here's a picture of my tree this year in our family room.

Whatever your Christmas looks like this year, I pray that the memories from years gone by will ring loud in your ear.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

1 comment:

"Virtuous Wannabe" said...

Barb, I LOVE this tree...had one just like it when I was little and remembered when you put it up a few years ago....WOW did it ever take me back! So many memories of all my mom did for us at Christmas and the time, money and effort it took for her to make Christmas special