Friday, December 19, 2008

Lessons From My Father

At this "giving" time of year, I always find myself reflecting on my precious father. It was he who showed me by example, the art of giving of oneself.

Even earliest childhood memories involve watching him helping others. In the midst of a horrific tornado when I was a young child, my father went out into the driving wind and pelting rain to check on our elderly neighbors. With homes demolished all around us, my father left his family in our basement to bless others not so fortunate. I can still remember watching him push his way down our driveway through the wind and rain, crying because I was afraid for him.

Gestures of kindness, compassion, and helpfulness were exhibited right before my eyes and I learned from these lessons.

I learned about selfless giving until it hurts from my earthly father. We don't see that too much anymore because we all are so consumed with ourselves, our own lives and our own problems. Long before I knew Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I saw these examples lived out right before my own eyes. I watched my father continually as I grew older to remain constant in his selfless attitude.

Christmas giving should be exhibited EVERY day in our lives. It is at the very core of who Jesus Himself was. He gave everything that He had for us and we didn't deserve a thing. We often weigh things out before we give and try to decide if someone is "deserving" of our giving....but Jesus didn't do that....He just gave it all on that cross on Calvary.

There won't be many gifts under our tree this year. The gifts our family has decided to give cannot be wrapped up. But the "giving" will be there, unseen, but not unnoticed in heaven and THAT is where it all matters anyway.

I challenge you, the reader, to give of yourself this Christmas. Give until it hurts, for that's when it truly becomes "selfless."

"For God so loved the world that He GAVE His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

How about YOU...what are YOU willing to give this Christmas????

No comments: