Thursday, August 28, 2008

STEP RIGHT UP....See the new Macclenny Exhibit!!!


Yep, right here in Macclenny, there's a new exhibit to be seen AND it's free of charge! Now normally, when you hear the words "STEP RIGHT UP" they are immediately followed by the following statement..."GET YOUR TICKETS RIGHT HERE!" But no, not so in this case! This exhibit is free of charge and open to anyone....right here in our very own Macclenny, you can view a million tadpoles in one place at one time! Yep, right here in my "pool" in my backyard. What once was the scene of grandchildren splashing and playing, squirting water back and forth, handstands to see who can keep their legs straighter, and the ever popular pulling each other off the raft game, is now extinct! No longer do I hear the sound of laughter but instead, I can look into my pool and see tadpoles, too numerous to count, swimming and splashing their teeny tiny tails at me!
HOW COULD THEY? HOW DARE THEY? In the midst of Hurricane Fay, newcomers arrived at my house and decided since the water was everywhere and PLENTIFUL, why not just take up residence in the pool? These little creatures are adorable when viewed in small numbers in a ditch, creek or lake.....but NOT IN MY POOL!
Now the task begins of first draining some of the inches and inches of rainwater from the pool (it nearly overflowed from all the rain), then cleaning out and ridding my pool of all these little buggers. The kids have asked everyday, "Yaya, when can we swim again???" It's gonna take a LOT of chlorine and good old arm strength to clean the pool out before any human being swimming can begin again and by that time, it'll be fall by my standards!!!!!

Ah well.....in the meantime, the tadpoles are growing and looking me straight in the eye as I tell them their days are numbered! I think they know I'm after them.
All creatures great and small.......I know, I know.....He made them all. Really, I don't hate them, I just wish they hadn't chosen my pool to set up their tadpole exhibit!

1 comment:

debseveryday said...

Between your tadpoles and our turtle we could start the first Baker County Aquarium/Zoo